Friday, August 05, 2005

And Just How Many Varietals Have You Tasted?
Most of us have heard of the De Longs' grape varietal table. I posted on it some time ago, and I’ve seen other wineblogs note its existence. The De Long’s have now begun The Wine Century Club. If you've tasted wine from 100 different grape varieties, you're qualified to become a member. On a quick run through the list I could identify about 40 varieties that I have tasted either as single varietals or in blends. If I thought about a little more I’m sure I could come up with a few more (where are my notes on that Spanish tasting) but I doubt that I could get to 100. Getting to 100 is not a common achievement as only about 3% of the applicants have done it. But it does seem like a fun way to learn more about different grape varieties and the qualities of the wines made from them.

No comments: